Tuesday, July 21, 2026

COFFEE THOUGHTS

 

COFFEE THOUGHTS
Gerald D Hochstetler Jr.

Sip… Happy Wednesday! Last evening I was swimming, and my wife was skimming the pool. I swim for shoulder exercise and sometimes when I swim I remember THAT day.

I told my wife many years ago my brother saved my life. She already knows, but I told her again about that evening nearly 50 years ago.

I took a big leap into the pond. I was 11 or 12, I don’t remember the exact age. I could swim if all went well, but this time I jumped out further than I usually did and when I hit the water I panicked. All I remember was water, huge gulps of water.

My older brother noticed I came up, down, up, and down, than I wasn’t coming back up. He sensed I was in big trouble. He quickly swam out, grabbed me by my hair and drug me in. I lay on the beach, gasping. I felt like my head was exploding. I was in a daze for a long time. There is no doubt my brother saved my life.

I told my wife that had I died that night I believe I would have been saved. I was already God conscience at that point and would at times go off alone to pray. Prayer to me has always been conversation with God. Very real. Nothing religious about it, just plain talk to God.

Wouldn’t it have been better to die young? And avoid all the sin and corruption that would later be my life?

I believe there was a reason for my extended life.

Having now lived another 50 years and experienced life I will worship differently than I would have had I died at a young age, I will now worship as one who was a prodigal, a sinner, as one who had wandered far away. I will worship as one who had been a lone lost sheep, as one who God came seeking and brought back to the fold.

I will worship as one who now knows that salvation is of the Lord. Totally and completely. You worship differently on the other side of the GRACE experience.

That is some of what my wife and I talked about last night by the pool.

Gerald D Hochstetler Jr.
#coffeethoughts on Facebook

Used with Permission

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment